Tucson: January 2017
NOTE: 2017 was a great success! Watch for 2018 dates to be announced.
FINDING YOUR AUDIENCE: THE MVS MASTER CLASS
WHEN: Tuesday evening, January 17 – Sunday noon, January 22, 2017
WHERE: Homewood Suites by Hilton at St. Philips Plaza in Tucson, Arizona (details below; discounted rate must be booked by midnight January 5th.
WHO: Photographers wishing to take their work to the next level.
Acceptance to this workshop is by application only. APPLY HERE.
TUITION: $1150 | Workshop Alumni* $950
I am pleased to announce that I will once again be hosting my Master Class in Tucson in January 2017. As in the past, this year’s discussions and seminars will be at an ADVANCED level; acceptance is by application only. Class size is limited.
Click here to apply.
Each January since 2014, Finding Your Audience: MVS Master Class, was deemed a great success by participants – read their testimonials on the lower portion of this page.
Join us in Tucson at the start of the new year to jump start your creativity and marketing awareness! Below are but a few of the many topics we will discuss:
- Strategies towards securing support for your long-term projects via grants, fellowships, corporate sponsorship and in-kind donations.
- Understanding the fine print collecting market and how to maximize your investment in exhibitions and portfolio reviews to best engage this audience.
- Enhancing your self-promotion efforts towards targeted, current, and evolving markets through website, social media and targeted print promotions.
- Caring for your work: innovative, secure exhibition display and long-term care of your photographs and related paperwork with those who show and collect your work.
- The role of a well-planned and produced publication, photo book or Portfolio in moving your career forward.
- Enhancing audience engagement for your work through related educational offerings online or during public exhibitions.
- The business of your business: reviewing the diverse legal agreements in your art career.
- Understanding granting commercial licensing of your fine art images, and how to assess value.
- Noted Curator of Education, Cass Fey, on expanding and engaging your exhibition audiences.
- Artist, Lisa M. Robinson, (“Snowbound”) on her creative practice and embracing new projects.
- Gallerist/Appraiser and Attorney, Daphne Srinivasan, shares her perspectives on strategic planning for the full arc of one’s career as well as understanding the documents marking engagements with those who will show, sell, represent and own your work.
- Book Artist, Philip Zimmermann, of Spaceheater Editions (Tucson) will share his experience producing artist books / photo books and his expertise on this growing marketplace.
- Preparator/Installation Designer, Tim Mosman, on creative thinking about exhibitions.
- Licensing Expert, Patrick Donehue, will provide an invaluable window on the opportunities to license your photographs in today’s commercial marketplace.
While much of our time will be spent in the hotel’s classroom, on site visits (Center for Creative Photography and Etherton Gallery) and meeting with Special Guests, time will be scheduled for participants to share their work informally with our group–always a highlight. Plan on bringing current projects, promotional pieces and publications to share with fellow participants.
The Sonoran Desert is not to be missed! Early risers will have a chance to hike and photograph in the area, and we will save time for an afternoon free to see the local beauty, historic neighborhoods or other area(s) as you wish.
PRIVATE SESSIONS: Each participant will be scheduled for a 30 minute session with Ms. Swanson during the workshop. If desired, participants can arrange for a one-hour sessions before or after the workshop at a special Workshop rate of $200 for that hour.
Come early / Stay late! I hope you will come early/stay late and experience the culture and amazing landscape of Southern Arizona, too; this link provides a great introduction to our area visittucson.org. Highlights in Tucson or in the near vicinity include Sabino Canyon, Sonoran Desert Museum, Saguaro National Park, San Xavier Mission and the Pima Air & Space Museum. A slightly longer trip (day trip) would bring you to Biosphere 2, Kitt Peak National Observatory and Karchner Caverns State Park.
I promise an engaging dialogue about our industry and your practice that will help you focus your energies and unleash your creativity during a wonderful visit to the Sonoran Desert. I look forward to working together in Tucson early in the new year!
–Mary Virginia Swanson
*Those who have taken a workshop with MVS in the past 3 years qualify for the Alumni tuition rate. Being a consulting client does not qualify you for the alumni tuition rate. Acceptance is not guaranteed unless you have previously been accepted to the MVS Master Class.
We have negotiated a discounted room rate for Workshop Participants at the Homewood Suites by Hilton of $155 + tax per night for standard rooms; this rate has been extended until midnight on January 5th, 2017. All rooms are suites and smoke free and include: daily hot breakfast; dinner, beer and wine each weeknight (Mon – Thurs); fully equipped kitchens in every suite with full-size refrigerator and stovetop, and high speed internet. We encourage you to stay with the rest of the participants at this hotel. If you are interested in sharing a room with a fellow participant to cut down on costs, please let us know – many double-bed suites are reserved, and most have sleeper couches in the living room of each suite..
Please call Homewood Suites to make your reservation, (520) 577-0007; refer to MVS Marketing to receive the discounted group rate. Note: The hotel will honor our special rate just prior and just after the workshop as well, so come early/stay late and enjoy beautiful southern Arizona!
Payment & Cancellation Policy
A deposit of $300 is due within 2 weeks of notification of acceptance to the workshop. Payments can be made here.
If you must cancel before January 2, 2017, a full refund of funds paid, less $50 for administrative fees, will be issued.
If you must cancel after January 2, 2017, a refund, less $50, will be provided only if your space can be filled.
You are responsible for cancelling your hotel and travel arrangements.
Consultations while in Tucson
A special discounted one-hour consultation rate of $200 is offered to all workshop participants who wish to meet privately with Mary Virginia. Sessions are being offered on Monday, January 23rd. Appointment times are assigned in the order requests for private consultations are received; please contact Mary Virginia (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested in scheduling.
If you have any questions about the workshop please email email@example.com with MVS Master Class in the subject line.
ALL IMAGES © 2016 Kathleen Dreier, all rights reserved.