Tag: Lisa Hostetler
The Choice Awards
Fee: $30 member/$40 non-member per category or $70/$85 for all three categories for 6 images.
“The Choice Awards recognize outstanding photographers working in all processes and subject matter. The Awards are divided into three categories: Curator’s Choice, Editor’s Choice, and Gallerist’s Choice. The winners receive recognition via exhibition, publication, portfolio reviews and more.
The Choice Award winners are invited to participate in The Curve exhibition in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 2014 during the flagship event, Review Santa Fe to maximize exposure.
- Curator’s Choice: Malcolm Daniel, Curator in Charge, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, TX
- Editor’s Choice: Cheryl Newman, Director of Photography, The Telegraph, England
- Gallerist’s Choice: Steffi Schulze, Gallery Mangement, Camera Work, Germany
Project Development Grant
Fee: $30 member/$40 non-member for 8-10 digital files of a cohesive body of work.
“The Project Development Grant offers financial support to fine art, documentary or photojournalist works-in-progress. The grant includes a cash award to help complete a project as well as platforms for feedback and professional development opportunities for the works final stages.
This grant is awarded to projects that are still in progress and have not been exhibited or published. It requires signing of a contract to participate in an exhibition at the Center for Contemporary Arts, during Review Santa Fe.
Juror: Lisa Hostetler, PhD, Curator, George Eastman House; formerly Curator at the Smithsonian
- $5,000 Cash Award (some restrictions apply)
- Exhibition at the Center for Contemporary Arts (CCA)
- Complimentary participation in Review Santa Fe
- Santa Fe Photographic Workshops tuition voucher (some restrictions apply)
- A full portfolio review on Eyeist (some restrictions apply)
- Special invitation to participate in the Art Photo Index
- Lenscratch publication
- Online exhibition at VisitCenter.org.”
For the submission guidelines and to apply for The Choice Awards or the Project Development Grant visit: www.centeryourcareer.org/2014/center/awards/guidelines.html.
“Aperture Foundation and the photography program at the School of Art, Media, and Technology at Parsons The New School for Design are pleased to present a conversation between artist Taryn Simon and Lisa Hostetler, McEvoy Family Curator of Photography at the Smithsonian American Art Museum. Writing on Simon’s work, Hostetler has observed: “By highlighting the precarious and often unreliable seams between photographic imagery, textual material, and definitive knowledge, Simon’s art draws attention to habits of inference and judgment . . . . While her seductively beautiful photographs attract the eye, the accompanying texts disclose unexpected—sometimes shocking—details about the subject of the picture. Given a contemporary world rife with images and information, her work speaks to issues that affect us all.’”
Aperture Gallery and Bookstore
547 West 27th Street
New York, New York [map]