Tag: Kathy Ryan
Philadelphia Photo Arts Center
Call for Entries: 3rd Annual Contemporary Photography Competition & Exhibition
Deadline: Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Fee: $40 for 5 images
The Philadelphia Photo arts center (PPAC) announces it’s annual call for entries. Selected entries will be exhibited at PPAC from July 12 – September 8, 2012 and will be included in a book of the exhibition.
The competition is open to all subject matter, photographic techniques and processes. The entry fee is $40 for a maximum of 5 images. entry fees are non refundable. all entries must be received or postmarked by Tuesday, May 29th, 2012. For more info please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submissions are accepted online at www.philaphotoarts.slideroom.com OR by mail on a CD. Submissions submitted by email will not be accepted. Images should be formatted as 72dpi JPEGs, no larger than 1024 pixels at longest dimension.
- Each JPEG should have a file name with the photographer’s first name, last name, corresponding number from the entry form, and image title (e.g. Johnsmith_2_untitled.jpg)
- Include artist statement, bio, and CV/resume in digital format (Word document or PDF). Please do not send hard copies.
- The CD and CD case must be labeled with the artists name and PPAC’s 3rd Annual contemporary Photography competition and exhibition
- Artists will be notified by June 12, 2012 via email
- All works selected must be available for sale at a price (inclusive of frame) determined by the artist. artists will receive 60% of the sale price.
- Submission materials will not be returned.
- All work must be delivered to PPAC by July 9th. PPAC will not pay for or coordinate any delivery or return shipping. PPAC staff will handle work carefully, but PPAC is not responsible for damage to any work.
Panel Discussion with Kathy Ryan, New York Times Magazine Photographs
Thursday, November 17, 2011 at 7:00 pm
“Longtime photo editor Kathy Ryan will discuss her new book, The New York Times Magazine Photographs (Aperture, 2011) at Barnes and Noble with photographers Damon Winter and Taryn Simon.
The book reflects upon and interrogates the nature of both photography and print magazines, at this pivotal moment in their history and evolution. It presents some of the finest commissioned photographs worldwide of various types, including reportage, portraiture, style, conceptual photography, and photo illustration. Also addressed are issues of documentary photography in relation to more conceptual photography; the efficacy of storytelling; and what makes an image evidentiary, objective, subjective, truthful, or a tool for advocacy; as well as discussion of whether these matters are currently moot, or more critical than ever. As such, The New York Times Magazine Photographs aims to serve as a springboard for a rigorous, necessary, and revitalized examination of photography as presented within a modern journalistic context.”
LOOK3: Charlottesville Festival of the Photograph
June 9-11, 2011
LOOK3 will present another inspiring three days of exhibitions, presentations, interviews, workshops, and outdoor projections. This year’s guest curators are Kathy Ryan of NYTimes Magazine and Scott Thode of VII magazine. The theme is Home.
This year’s INsight Artists are: Nan Goldin, Massimo Vitali and Antonin Kratochvil. Each of these renowned photographers will have solo gallery exhibits and one night on-stage to share with us the stories behind their storied careers.
For the Masters Talks program Steve McCurry, Christopher Anderson, Ashley Gilbertson, and LaToya Ruby Frazier will present with more artists to be announced soon. The 2011 Workshops are being taught by Mary Ellen Mark, Christopher Anderson, Alex Webb, Rebecca Norris Webb, and Brian Storm.
For ticket prices and to purchase, click here.