Tag: Ellen Fleurov
Silver Eye Center for Photography
Call for Entries: Fellowship 13, International Photography Competition
Deadline: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 11:59 pm EST
“Silver Eye Center for Photography announces a Call for Entries for Fellowship 13, our international photography competition. Now in its 13th year, this competition recognizes both rising talent and established photographers from all corners of the globe and from the state of Pennsylvania. In addition to two awards for photographers, we will inaugurate this year a $500 Multimedia Storyteller Award for a short documentary video or internet-based project.
Sam Barzilay, Creative Director, United Photo Industries and Co-Founder, Photoville, Brooklyn, New York
Ellen Fleurov, Executive Director, Silver Eye Center for Photography, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- One International Award Winner receives a solo exhibition at Silver Eye opening mid-January 2013; $3,000 for exhibition-related expenses; an online gallery on Silver Eye’s website (with link to artist website); and media outreach and promotion.
- One Keystone Award Winner receives a spotlight exhibition in mid-January 2013; $1,000 for exhibition-related expenses; an online gallery on Silver Eye’s website (with link to artist website); and media outreach and promotion.
- One Multimedia Storyteller Award Winner for a documentary or internet-based project receives $500; a dedicated article with URL and/or video download via Silver Eye’s website; and media outreach and promotion.
- Six Judges’ Commendation Winners will be named on Silver Eye’s website and press releases.
All U.S. and international amateur and professional photographers, age 18 and older at the time of submission, may apply. Silver Eye staff and their relatives, Board members, current interns, and past Fellowship winners are not eligible to apply.
$85 for non-Silver Eye members.
$18 for current Silver Eye members at the $70 level and above, with membership valid through January, 31, 2013.
- One-page Artist’s Statement in PDF format;
- Biography or CV in PDF format
- Sample of work:
- International Award and Keystone Award: submit up to eight (8) images from a cohesive, exhibition-ready body of work created within the past three years. Or, if from an ongoing project, the portfolio must include images created within the past three years. Image files should be less than 2MB each, and sized around 1024 x 768 pixels @ 72 dpi.
- Multimedia Storyteller Award: your multimedia submission may include either a video or an internet-based project. Please keep video files (.mov, .wmv, .flv) under 60MB and limited to a 3-minute clip. You may also submit one still image from your piece plus a link to your video on your own website. The link should be part of your artist’s statement.
- Submitted work may not have been previously exhibited at Silver Eye or in the Greater Pittsburgh region.
- Submissions will only be accepted at silvereye.slideroom.com.”
Gallery Talk and Reception
Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 6:30 pm
“Get a behind the scenes look at the Auction and photographs up for bid by joining Ellen Fleurov, Silver Eye’s Executive Director, and Brian Lang, Curator, Corporate Art Collection, BNY Mellon, as they discuss the pleasures of collecting photography and highlight works in the Auction. Many of the local artists whose work is showcased will also be present. Free but RSVP requested; please contact 412.431.1810, ext. 12 or email@example.com.”
Silver Eye Center for Photography
1015 East Carson Street
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15203-1109 [map]
2012 Benefit Auction and Brunch
Sunday, April 29, 2012, 11:00 am to 2:00 pm
Event Tickets and Bidding
“Tickets are $75 per person and includes a day of great art, a silent auction, delectable food from Chef Bob Sendall of All in Good Taste Productions, outstanding wines from Engine House No. 25, and signature cocktails from Boyd & Blair Vodka.
This event is always a sell-out, so purchase your tickets online today at the Auction website, www.biddingforgood.com/SilverEye. You can also order tickets by contacting Juliana Zipay at 412.431.1810, ext. 12 or at jzipay [at] silvereye.org.
Auction bidding online is now open through April 26th. The Auction website also features the Auction catalog, absentee bid instructions and forms, directions, and other information about the event.
Auction Preview (Online and In-Person)
This year’s Auction features a dazzling array of vintage and contemporary photographs, ranging from images by esteemed masters of photography to new work by the stars of tomorrow. You can view the work and bid online (check back often for new items added every week) or see the photographs in person at the Preview Exhibition now open through April 25, 2012.
Aaronel deRoy Gruber (1918-2011), whom we honor this year, is but one of the more than 40 artists in the Auction. You’ll also find great vintage and modern prints by Walker Evans, Charles “Teenie” Harris, Carrie Schneider, Scott Conarroe, Duane Michals, Ed Panar, Fran Forman, Henry J. Simonds, Akihiko Miyoshi, Rebecca Sittler, Daniel Kramer, Aaron Siskind, and Abelardo Morell, to name just a few.
Sara Friedlander, a specialist in Post-War and Contemporary Art at Christie’s, New York, is the auctioneer for the afternoon.
New to the Auction this year are exclusive travel packages, tickets to theater, cultural and top-tier sporting event, and many more unique items and experience guaranteed to delight and surprise.
Buy Great Art and Invest in Silver Eye’s Future
Place your bid online now at www.biddingforgood.com/SilverEye or at the live event, knowing that you are helping support Pittsburgh’s nationally-acclaimed center for contemporary photography. See you at the Auction!
The fundraiser will be held at the Clear Story Studio on Pittsburgh’s historic Southside.”
Clear Story Studio
1931 Sidney Street
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania [map]
Deadline Extended to January 31, 2012
Silver Eye Center for Photography
Fellowship 12: International Photography Competition
Deadline: Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 11:59:59 pm EST
$15 for Silver Eye members with $70 membership | $65 for non-members
The Silver Eye Center for Photography in Pittsburgh announces a call for entries for Fellowship 12, our international photography competition. Now in its 12th year, this juried competition identifies and recognizes both rising talent and established photographers from all corners of the globe and from the state of Pennsylvania. In 2012, the first prize International Award is $3,000 and a solo exhibition at Silver Eye Center for Photography. The $1,000 Keystone Award is open to any eligible photographer currently living and/or working in the state of Pennsylvania. The jurors will also select up to five artists for Commendation Awards.
Julie Saul is a pre-eminent art dealer and the owner and director of Julie Saul Gallery in New York City. Now celebrating its 26th year, Julie Saul Gallery specializes in contemporary photography and works on paper. Honored in 2010 by the Aperture Foundation for her contributions to photography, Julie has also worked as an independent curator and taught and lectured at The Metropolitan Museum of Art and The Museum of Modern Art, New York; New York University and the School of Visual Arts; and at Christie’s and Sotheby’s. A frequent portfolio reviewer, Julie has also served on the board of the Association of International Photography Art Dealers.
Ellen Fleurov is Executive Director of the Silver Eye Center for Photography. The founding curator of photography at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia, Ellen has curated over 85 exhibitions for American and international museums, galleries and photography festivals. She is a frequent lecturer, grants panelist, exhibition juror and portfolio reviewer, most recently at Houston’s Fotofest and Portland’s Photo Lucida and Critical Mass.
- One (1) International Award Winner receives a solo exhibition at Silver Eye opening in mid-May 2012; $3,000 for exhibition-related expenses; an online gallery on Silver Eye’s website (with link to artist website); and extensive media outreach and promotion.
- One (1) Keystone Award Winner receives a spotlight exhibition at Silver Eye; $1,000 for exhibition-related expenses; an online gallery on Silver Eye’s website (with link to artist website); and media outreach and promotion.
- Five (5) Jurors’ Commendation Winners will be named on Silver Eye’s website and press releases.
Submissions will be accepted online only through SlideRoom.
- Eight images from a cohesive, exhibition-ready body of work created within the past three years. Or, if an ongoing project, the portfolio must include imagery created within the past three years.
- Submitted work must not have been previously exhibited at Silver Eye (online or onsite) or widely seen in the greater Pittsburgh region.
- A one-page artist statement and CV in PDF format.