Advice & Media
I am happy to share these resources with you, and hope you find the information of value.
I have new books and articles planned, and will be speaking in many cities in the coming year.
To learn about my upcoming publications, seminars and speaking engagements, please sign up for my monthly newsletter.
RESOURCE GUIDE: Last issue Summer/Fall 2014
This Resource Guide represents a comprehensive directory to the fine art photography industry. It includes a current, systematic compilation with links to competitions, funding opportunities, national and regional organizations, blogs, magazines and much more.
Upon completing purchase, you will be emailed a link to download the document.
NOTE: The MVS Resource Guide will no longer be updated as its content is being integrated into her forthcoming title, Finding Your Audience: An Introduction to Marketing Your Photographs, available this spring. The Summer/Fall 2014 edition will continue to be available here until the end of February 2017.
ADVICE FROM MVS
- PDNedu, “Working with Passion: On Assignment for NGOs”
- “How to Prepare for Portfolio Review Events” [PDF] 2016
Originally published in Emerging Photographer, Fall 2012 issue, pp 21-23; updated and expanded here.
- PDNedu, “ASK MVS: Mary Virginia Swanson Advises on Licensing Existing Work”
Spring 2016 issue, pp 22. [PDF]
- PDNedu, “ASK MVS: Mary Virginia Swanson Gives Advice on Making the Most of Your Senior Show”
Fall 2015 issue, pp 22. [PDF]
- PDNedu, “Seeking Support for Your Creative Projects”
Fall 2015 issue, pp 54-57. [PDF]
- PDN Pulse: “PDN Video: How to Get the Most Out of a Portfolio Review”
- “The Perfect Portfolio: Tips From Editors & Buyers”
By Jim Colton, National Press Photographers Association.
- Shutterbug Magazine, “The Real Deal On Fine Art Photography: Where Creativity Meets Sales And Marketing: An Interview With Mary Virginia Swanson”
April 2013 issue. Interview by Maria Piscopo.
- Emerging Photographer, “Investing in Graduate School”
Spring 2013 issue, pp 16-17. [PDF]
- ADBASE, “Key Opportunities for Your Fine Art Work,” May 2010
- British Journal of Photography, “11 Tips for 2011: Building Your Brand”
Originally published in the British Journal of Photography, January 21, 2011. [PDF]
- “Marketing For Fine Art Photographers”
An Interview with Mary Virginia Swanson by Matt Bailey Co-Founder of liveBooks, inc.
- “Finding Your Way As An Artist: A Brief List of Self-Assignments For Artists”
From her presentation at MIAD in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on September 22, 2011. [PDF]
MVS IN THE MEDIA
- PDN Pulse, “Educator, Consultant Mary Virginia Swanson Named New Executive Director of LOOK3″
By Holly Hughes, published on September 8, 2015.
- PDNedu, “Advocating With Inspiration: The Empowering Wisdom of Mary Virginia Swanson”
By Amy Touchette, published in the Spring 2015 issue. Download the article as a PDF here.
- LENSCRATCH, “The Mary Virginia Swanson Mixtape & 2013 FOCUS Award for Lifetime Achievement in Photography”
Interview by Aline Smithson, published October 18, 2013.
- To Be Published or Self-Publish? Options for Artists Today, May 15, 2014
Presentation by Mary Virginia Swanson at the Annenberg Space for Photography, Iris Nights Lecture Series (approximately 1 hour).
- ASMP Business As unUsual Webinar, November 7, 2012
Presentation by Mary Virginia Swanson, moderated by Judy Herrmann. Audio and visual recording of the webinar. Free for ASMP members, $4.99 for non-members.
- Jeff Curto’s Camera Position, May/June 2012, four part interview series by Jeff Curto.
• Camera Position 106 : Mary Virginia Swanson – Part 1
• Camera Position 107 : Mary Virginia Swanson – Part 2: Books, Blogs & Salons
• Camera Position 108 : Mary Virginia Swanson – Part 3: Craft, Publishing & Folios
• Camera Position 109 : Mary Virginia Swanson – Part 4: Public Art, Galleries & Image Size
• Camera Position 110 : Mary Virginia Swanson – Part 5: Story & Narrative
- Amateur Photographer Magazine, “Doing It By the Book” [PDF]
Interview with Mary Virginia Swanson and Darius D. Himes about Publish Your Photography Book, by Gemma Padley, November 2011.
- Photograph Magazine, “In Profile”
By Sara Schmerler, July/August 2011 issue. [PDF]
- Publish Your Photography Book Event, The New York Public Library, Fall 2010.
LECTURE NOTES BY MVS*
- To Be Published or Self-Publish? – The Photobook Resource Guide
PhotoPlus Expo, October 21, 2016.
- Your Exhibition: The Checklist
PhotoPlus Expo, November 1, 2014 and New Orleans Photo Alliance, November 15, 2014.
- To Be Published, or Self-Publish? Options for Artists Today
PhotoPlus Expo, October 31, 2014.
- Photographer’s Studios, Slide Show from SPE 2013 Student Seminar
A Life in Art: The Realities and the Economy, presented by Susan kae Grant and Mary Virginia Swanson
- 10 Most Exciting Photographers/Projects I Learned About This Year
From MVS’s lecture at the Phoenix Art Museum on February 16, 2011.
*All open or download as PDFs.
Mary Virginia Swanson is an author and educator who helps artists find the strengths in their work, identify appreciative audiences and present their work in an informed, professional manner. Her seminars and lectures on marketing opportunities have proven to aid photographers in moving their careers to the next level. Swanson is a sought-aft Reviewer, Juror and Mentor; she draws from her thirty-year career spanning the fine print, licensing and photojournalism arenas to lend sage advice to artists at all professional levels.
Swanson is the recipient of the 2015 Honored Educator Award and 2015 Insight Award from the Society for Photographic Education, the 2014 Susan Carr Award for Education from the American Society for Media Photographers (ASMP) and the 2013 Lifetime Achievement FOCUS Award from the Griffin Museum of Photograph. Swanson served as the Executive Director of the 2016 LOOK3 Festival of the Photograph in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Swanson co-authored with Darius Himes the acclaimed Publish Your Photography Book: Revised & Updated (2014). Her current book project is Finding Your Audience: An Introduction to Marketing Your Photographs (2017), a major update to her earlier Business of Photography: Principles and Practices (2008) that will guide photographers through the changes taking place in nearly every aspect of our industry, preparing them for new opportunities in today’s photography-rich culture.
Each January Swanson hosts a high-level Master Class for which a portfolio submission is required for consideration of participation. Topics focus on professional practices surrounding both art making and art marketing. The 2017 MVS Master Class will be held January 17th – 22nd in Tucson, Arizona.